Sometimes you need to compile historical information to understand what happened. When desired records are not available, our investigation, computer, and accounting skills combine to allow us to assemble required data more cost effectively and more accurately than would otherwise be possible.
- On numerous occasions, reconstructed accounting and other business records to determine items such as (i) the amount of a defalcation, (ii) the actual impact of certain events on an affected business, (iii) the cause of a business failure, and (iv) breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Calculated the amount of money due to the state of California from a major energy supplier accused of manipulating natural gas prices following deregulation of the California energy market. Helped develop a model used to calculate the overcharge for energy during the damage period.
- Performed large-scale data collection and analysis for trust accounts involved in a class action lawsuit. Gathered account information for approximately 300,000 account holders going back over twenty years. Identified account holders with multiple aliases in the system to identify the unique class. Reconstructed account transaction history for select individuals going back over one hundred years based on paper records.
- Performed the forensic reconstruction of accounting records for a biotechnology company to determine whether the company fraudulently reported expenses to the company’s funding source. Our analysis included allocating salary and related costs between two different research groups of which only one was supposed to be allocated funding. Searched employee hard drives to identify deleted files and analyses provided to adversarial parties resulting in employee termination. Provided testimony in the arbitration which resulted in a successful outcome for our client.
- Proved that refunds granted to users on a major telecommunications company’s network were legitimately tied to original calls. Examined accusations of phantom refunds by matching over 4 million refunds to almost 20 million original call records, despite incomplete data. Developed a process to match the records and overcome the various shortcomings in the data.
- Collected accounting and operations data from a major clothing company. Converted the data from an AS400 mainframe database to Microsoft SQL Server for analysis. Audited the manufacturing and sales data and reconciled shipping records to accounting sales data.